Monday, July 28, 2014

6" x 6" Framed Quilt for Menominee Area Art Council Scholarship

 I am a member of the Menominee Area Arts Council which serves Menominee MI and Marinette and Peshtigo WI. Each year on the last Sunday in August there is an art fair for area artists at Henes Park in Menominee. The group decided to purchase 6" x 6' canvases and each willing member could "paint" something on the canvas and at the art fair all pieces will sell for $25. The proceeds will help raise money for local high school art students earn art scholarships for college. I don't paint so I remove the canvas that was stapled onto a wooden frame and made a mini quilt and then wrap it around the wood frame and staple it to the back. Wala!

I have done this several times for an art exhibit in Green Bay WI each February at The Art Garage for fundraisers and it is a lot of fun. Why is it fun?-no bindings and it's small in size to it's easy to construct. Also I use lightweight flannel instead of batting to keep the bulk to a minimum for the framing part of the project.

I used the same pattern I used last winter for the Art Garage but instead of a blond I wanted black hair and my favorite color combination of red and lime green. (www.artgarage.org)


I embellished it with nail polish, fabric paint and some actual make-up blush on the cheeks-very simple. No beading or rhinestones.
The quilt was 10" x10" and I wrapped the design around the wood frame and in the second photo the design is seen from a side view.

The art show is on Sunday August 24, 2014 at Henes Park in Menominee, MI from 10-4. Check it out and buy a mini canvas and support college scholarships for art students!!

No comments:

Post a Comment