Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Modern Roue Chromatique (Modern Color Wheel)

I found a photo of this quilt on Pinterest and loved it because of the rainbow colors and I love a double mirror image symmetry style quilt. I tried to find a pattern source and I found the origin of the photo from Australia and several color variations but no pattern.
 This is the pattern I found on Pinterest but didn't want the blue color hues to dominate. I used graph paper and designed the quilt the way I wanted the colors with blue on the outer edges, red and pink the dominating colors and yellow and green in the center. This became my placement guide for the piecing of the triangles and squares.
I made 3 more copies of my graph paper color placement and taped them together which allowed me to visually view the full quilt.
I then made oodles of half square triangle combinations, cut out plenty of the white swirl tone-on-tone background fabric and many squares as well. I am not a fan of Thangles because it is a paper mess and not necessary. I use the method of adding 7/8" to the finished size of the square for the cutting size. For example this quilt had a finished size of 2" blocks. I cut the squares 2 7/8" and drew a diagonal line through the square and sewed two together 1/4" on each side of the line, cut on line, press to darkest side, and ta-da, a half square triangle.
The most difficult part of this quilt was the placement of the triangles-I hade moments of seam ripper madness. There is NO wiggle room because the contrast is so strong in this quilt!!

This photo shows the "pebble" quilting. There is lots of negative space in this quilt, as is many of the Modern Quilt Movement quilts, and I chose the pebble design as a contrast to all the angles in the piecing.
I will use this quilt a a teaching tool for when I teach color theory and the elements/principles of design classes.

4 comments:

  1. Nicely done!! Great color way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your pattern adaptation with us! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just came across this blog post and recognized the quilt. It's "Parterre" by Emma How. The pattern is featured in Australian Homespun Magazine's Garden Issue (#87, Vol 11 No 8). You did a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete